Update 2013: Mel’s released Well Fed 2 — another beautiful, well-considered, you-can-do-it cookbook. Check it out!
* * *
Melissa Joulwan runs The Clothes Make The Girl blog. She’s a smart, sassy, fabulous and strong woman… who has a not-so-secret past as a “chubby nerd” who’d rather Rollerskate to the library than do sports.
She transformed her geeky childhood love of Rollerskating into a roller derby league and a book, Rollergirl: Totally True Tales from the Track, written in what’s described on Amazon as a “mouthy, tough-as-nails style”. (You see why I like her?)
She didn’t stop there. The former “chubby nerd” found Crossfit, got lean and powerful, and transformed her family’s love of food into a beautiful, accessible, easy-to-use Primal cookbook, Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat, available in softcover and e-book format.
In this interview, we chat about the book as well as things like:
- Mel’s childhood dorkitude
- her struggles to lose weight and manage her thyroid issues
- silly diet tricks
- how to transition to eating healthy
- why eating Primal means you say an exuberant, lovin’ “yes” to certain foods (rather than “no” to others)
- how to navigate healthy eating with your family — especially how to maintain your family’s ethnic heritage
- how to stop worrying and learn to love food again
Tune in now!
And then check out Well Fed and Mel’s blog!
I know the word “paleo” in the title is probably what compelled you to choose this cookbook over others, which means you probably care about your health. I’m very glad! But my mission isn’t to clobber you with the healthfulness of the recipes in this book.
My mission is to inspire you with stories and tempt you with recipes that will make you want to smash in your face with joy.
–Well Fed intro